Saturday, January 27, 2024

Subfloor Material

Advantech Subfloor

Just a short post to discuss my downselect of subfloor material to Advantech by Huber. I special ordered it via Home Depot for about $60/sheet (including CA fees and minimum order costs). This is actually much cheaper than my 2nd choice which was marine grade plywood (which I used in the Boles Aero), and I won't need to use penetrating epoxy as a sealer.

I was considering the following options:

  1. Coosa Bluewater 26 - suuuppppeeerrr expensive composite that won't rot
  2. Marine grade plywood - expensive but less prone to rot than normal plywood
  3. Advantech or other engineered subfloor

After much deliberation I chose Advantech. It's an engineered subfloor specifically designed to withstand soaking moisture during the construction of a home. The first time I read about it I was repelled because OSB is notorious among the trailer restoration crowd and Advantech looks like typical OSB. But after some investigation I found that it's being adopted by vintage trailer restorers, particularly when they don't want to spend $300+ per sheet for Coosa board.

I had some initial difficulty finding it but contacted Huber Engineered Woods and they recommended that I special order through my local lumber store. It's not a normal stock item because local contractors won't spend the extra money to use it. Generally only large corporate builders use it because they recognize the cost tradeoffs associated with rework.

In any case it took about 3 weeks to get it delivered to the local Home Depot, but it's now in my garage waiting to be installed. It's the nicest and most uniform sheet good I've ever unloaded. Hopefully it lives up to it's promises.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rivets

 All about rivets Well not "ALL" about rivets but the rivets used on the Clipper. Here's a reference for most types of rivets...