Thursday, October 6, 2022

Decatur's Origin Story

 In Spring 2021 I was deep into the renovation of a 1948 Boles Aero model 14 that I later named "Weldon". I'd realized that Weldon was too small for a toilet/shower and this would have implications, namely where my wife was willing to visit would be somewhat constrained. I'm a backpacker and avid hiker so doing my business in the outdoors is not an issue (assuming there aren't neighbors close by) and showering, well let's just say I've hiked for over a week without one. My wife, not so much.


Weldon - 1948 Boles Aero model 14

So while I was working on Weldon I started to think about something a bit larger as my next project. There were a few factors I felt were important:

  1. large enough for a workable toilet & shower
  2. small/light enough to tow with a medium-sized vehicle
  3. worthy of investing the time and effort that was likely going to be required
Roughly translated those factors translated into the following desirements/requirements:

  1. body at least 18 feet in length
  2. gross tow weight (dry) around 3000 lbs and tongue weight less than 500 lbs
  3. probably an Airstream
I narrowed in on 1960's Airstream Safari models and started watching the listings while also looking at alternatives. During this period of time vintage trailer prices were starting to skyrocket and anything that could be had, regardless of condition was being sold literally within hours of listing. I missed out on a couple nice Safari's.

In any case life marched on and I kept my eyes open. Eventually I saw a listing on eBay for a 1952 Silver Streak Clipper in Texas. It was gutted but generally in great shape (based on the photos) and most of the interior cabinet pieces were included (although disassembled). I'd never expected to get the chance to buy an early Clipper (or Airstream Liner - they are nearly identical structurally). I mean they are rare: I've since found that there are only about 150ish known early Clippers known to still exist. I leaned way far forward and made the $500 deposit based solely on the pictures and description in eBay.

The seller was very accommodating. I sent final payment and also arranged to have it serviced by an airstream professional at the seller's location (yes a house call!) so that it could be towed home.

In May 2021 I drove to Decatur, Texas and towed my new-to-me 1952 Silver Streak Clipper home to California. Before I unhitched it, I stopped by a CA "DMV Partner" and had a clean California title and license plate. Then I drove it to a storage yard where it's waiting to be my next project.

Picking up Decatur in Texas


Decatur Homecoming in California

Decatur - 1952 Silver Streak Clipper 22' model 7 serno 2255

I've begun preparations to move Decatur from storage to my side yard so that I can begin the renovation process. I hope to begin in earnest in the near future and plan to blog my progress along the way like I did with Weldon, so stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rivets

 All about rivets Well not "ALL" about rivets but the rivets used on the Clipper. Here's a reference for most types of rivets...